Host Family Information and Forms
From June through September, 4-H families are needed to host exchange delegates for three to four week periods. Exchange delegates represent their country's partner organizations and vary in age, but generally are from 12-25 years old.
States' 4-H HostingKansas 4-H is always in need of Kansas 4-H families to host Japanese youth and adult chaperons for four weeks mid-July to mid-August. For information contact the Summer Japanese Inbound Coordinator, Rose Scott. Host family applications are submitted electronically, and are due by May 1, 2017. A national criminal background check will be required for all adults 18 and over who are living in the household at the time of the exchange. Background check details will be sent once the host family application has been completed.
Use these below forms/links only for States' 4-H International Exchange Programs Host Families Information & Forms for Hosting Exchangees 12-18 Years Old for Japan, Norway, Costa Rica and South Korea in 2017.
Stop. Remember, unless you are applying to host a Japanese, Norwegian, Costa Rican or South Korean youth in 2017, please go to the IFYE Host Family Application link listed mid-page under IFYE Hosting.
- 2017 Electronic Host Family Application Process Link
- 2017 Host Family Disclosure Form for Background Check
- 2017 Host Family Interview Questions for Previewing
Kansas 4-H also participates in the Academic Year Program where high school students from Japan and South Korea spend 10 1/2 months living with a Kansas family and attend high school from August - June. For more information about this program, click on the link below for the flyer.
IFYE host family applications are accepted on a year-round basis, and should be submitted each April preceding the summer or fall when the family would like to host. For information contact your local Extension Office or 4-H International Exchange Coordinator, Mary Kay Munson. Kansas 4-H will again host several IFYEs in the state during summer 2017. As the information becomes available, it will be posted below with a brief biography about each IFYE, when they will be in Kansas, and how many host families are needed.
Kansas will likely host from 8-10 IFYEs June - September, 2017. See the brief descriptions below about each IFYE coming to Kansas. Also see the IFYE host family matrix that shows when Kansas 4-H host families are needed.
2017 Bios will be provided as they become available.
2017 IFYE chart for Kansas 4-H Host Families needed, updated as of 3-13-17: Kansas 4-H Host Families Needed
IFYE Host Families Information and Forms for Hosting Exchangees:
- IFYE Host Family Application Only (Form-Fillable PDF)
If the application does not appear as form-fillable, try using a different browser, e.g., Explorer or Chrome. (It may be necessary in Firefox to download the application to your hard drive, before the form-fillable function works). Please complete the application, save it, and e-mail to Mary Kay Munson.
- Host Family Photo Page Supplement to Application (Word)
(Please include up to three photos of your family to share with your exchangee and e-mail to Mary Kay Munson).
- Host Family Confidential Reference Form (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family In-Home Interviewer Guide (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family In-Home Interviewer Report (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family In-Home Interviewer Verification (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family Questions & Answers
Tips on Submitting the Electronic Form for the National Background Check
The following tips will help you navigate the national background check process:
- Click on the link, National Back Ground Check.
- Click on the Extension unit (county) where you participate in 4-H.
- Each person 18 and over needing a background check must have a separate e-mail address and completely follow the process outlined. It is not possible to use the same e-mail address for multiple persons in the home, since the system does not allow for that. By using the same e-mail address, it will simply overwrite the information inputted, and only run the background check on the last person to use that e-mail address.
- Enter specific e-mail address. Remember e-mail addresses cannot be re-used or made up. It must be a real functioning e-mail address.
- Create a password and confirm password.
- Follow the prompts and answer the question to verify.
- Fill in all the information requested by using your full name. Do not use nicknames or abbreviations. For example, use James Madison Smith, Jr., not Jimmy Smith.
- Under the field – Address 2, type in “IFYE Host Family Check”. This will allow us to track your family’s background checks in the system much easier.
- Do not use the back arrow. This will take you back to the first page where it will ask you to re-insert your password and to reconfirm your password. After entering this information once, you should then go to the upper right corner and log in using your existing password.
- Read the presented information boxes. Tick the boxes indicating you have read the information, understand the contents and/or agree that all statements are true. Click on the “next” button to continue the process.
- In a later screen verify that your contact information is correct. If not, edit it, and hit the “next” button.
- Enter you date of birth and your social security number (confirm it) when prompted.
- Insert your electronic signature using your mouse/pad when prompted. Tick the box affirming the information and signature.
- Hit "submit" and exit the system before starting another background check, if needed.
- Your results will be automatically sent to the Kansas State 4-H Office where they will be reviewed. You do not have to do anything else once you have submitted the background check request.
- If you have questions, please contact Keli at 785-532-5800, M-F, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. or e-mail her at email@example.com.
- Thank you for your cooperation.