Host Family Information and Forms
From June through September, 4-H families are needed to host exchange delegates for three to four week periods. Exchange delegates represent their country's partner organizations and vary in age, but generally are from 12-25 years old.
States' 4-H Hosting Only (For IFYE, Scroll on Down)Kansas 4-H is always in need of Kansas 4-H families to host Japanese youth and adult chaperons for four weeks mid-July to mid-August. For information contact the Summer Japanese Inbound Coordinator, Rose Scott. Host family applications are submitted electronically, and are preferred by May 1, 2019. Applications will be accepted until all our exchange delegates have been placed. A national criminal background check will be required for all adults 18 and over who are living in the household at the time of the exchange. Background check details will be sent once the host family application has been completed.
Use these below forms/links only for States' 4-H International Exchange Programs Host Families Information & Forms for Hosting Exchangees 12-18 Years Old for Japan, Norway, and Costa Rica in 2019.
Stop. Remember, unless you are applying to host a Japanese, Norwegian, or Costa Rican youth in 2019, please go to the IFYE Host Family Application link listed mid-page under IFYE Hosting on this same page. Please note that host families are required to have a family member who will be in the home during the exchange as a host sibling who is within 2-3 years and the same gender as the teen to be hosted. Incoming 4-H members from Finland and Costa Rica are from 15-18-years-old.
- 2019 Electronic Host Family Application Process Link
- 2019 Host Family Disclosure Form for Background Check
- 2019 Host Family Interview Questions for Previewing
Kansas 4-H also participates in the Academic Year Program where high school students from Eurasia, Eastern Europe, Japan, South Korea and Mexico spend 10 1/2 months living with a Kansas family and attend high school from August - June. For more information about this program, click on the link below for the flyer or contact the AYP Coordinator, Mary Kay Munson, 785-238-3631.
IFYE and Kansas 4-H International Exchange Program Hosting Only
Host family applications are accepted on a year-round basis, and should be submitted each April preceding the summer or fall when the family would like to host. For information contact your local Extension Office or 4-H International Exchange Coordinator. Kansas 4-H will again host several IFYEs and other Kansas 4-H International Exchange Program participants in the state during summer 2019. As the information becomes available, it will be posted below with a brief biography about each participant, when they will be in Kansas, and how many host families are needed.
Kansas will host around 4 participants June - September, 2019. A brief descriptions about each participant coming to Kansas and when they need Kansas host families will be posted as the information becomes available.
Host Families Information and Forms for Hosting Exchangees/Participants:
- Host Family Application Only (Form-Fillable PDF)
If the application does not appear as form-fillable, try using a different browser, e.g., Explorer or Chrome. (It most likely will be necessary in Firefox for you to download the application and save it to your hard drive, before the form-fillable function works). Please complete the application, resave it, and e-mail to Chelsy Champlin.
- Host Family Photo Page Supplement to Application (Word)
(Please include up to three photos of your family to share with your exchangee and e-mail to Chelsy Champlin).
- Host Family Confidential Reference Form (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family In-Home Interviewer Guide (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family In-Home Interviewer Report (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family In-Home Interviewer Verification (PDF)(Word)
- Host Family Questions & Answers
Tips on Submitting the Electronic Forms for the National Background Check
National Background Check Form. The following tips will help you navigate the national background check process:
- Click on the link, National Back Ground Check.
- Click on the Extension unit (county) where you participate in 4-H.
- Each person 18 and over needing a background check must have a separate e-mail address and completely follow the process outlined. It is not possible to use the same e-mail address for multiple persons in the home, since the system does not allow for that. By using the same e-mail address, it will simply overwrite the information inputted, and only run the background check on the last person to use that e-mail address.
- Enter specific e-mail address. Remember e-mail addresses cannot be re-used or made up. It must be a real functioning e-mail address.
- Create a password and confirm password.
- Follow the prompts and answer the question to verify.
- Fill in all the information requested by using your full name. Do not use nicknames or abbreviations. For example, use James Madison Smith, Jr., not Jimmy Smith.
- Under the field – Address 2, type in “IFYE Host Family Check”. This will allow us to track your family’s background checks in the system much easier.
- Do not use the back arrow. This will take you back to the first page where it will ask you to re-insert your password and to reconfirm your password. After entering this information once, you should then go to the upper right corner and log in using your existing password.
- Read the presented information boxes. Tick the boxes indicating you have read the information, understand the contents and/or agree that all statements are true. Click on the “next” button to continue the process.
- In a later screen verify that your contact information is correct. If not, edit it, and hit the “next” button.
- Enter you date of birth and your social security number (confirm it) when prompted.
- Insert your electronic signature using your mouse/pad when prompted. Tick the box affirming the information and signature.
- Hit "submit" and exit the system before starting another background check, if needed.
- Your results will be automatically sent to the Kansas State 4-H Office where they will be reviewed. You do not have to do anything else once you have submitted the background check request.
- If you have questions or problems with getting the process to work, please contact Chris Mullins at 785-532-5800, M-F, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Thank you for your cooperation.