Kansas wildlife is an important part of our state heritage and environment ranging from buffalo to birds to fish to deer and more. In this project you will learn about wildlife behavior, habitat requirements, how wildlife species fit into nature's scheme, how they are managed, and how they relate to humans.
Things to Learn/Do in the Project
- Characteristics of reptiles and amphibians
- What is habitat
- Unique features of birds
- Identify wildlife dwelling
- Importance of the insect/flower relationship
- Identify seed shapes and how they are dispersed
- Characteristics of mammals, carnivores and omnivores
- Significance of wetlands
- Protective coloring of wildlife
- How wildlife adapt to urban environments
- Effect of humans on wildlife habitat
- Learn about the prairie as an ecosystem
Reasonably priced materials are available for every project in Kansas 4-H. You can order the materials for your project online or contact your local Extension Office.
General Project Resources