SCIENCE OF AGRICULTURE
YOUTH & PARENTS...
The Science of Agriculture Challenge offers a hands-on learning experience to inspire the next generation of agriculture leaders. Your team will work with volunteer coaches and mentors to create projects and build solutions. As a part of the challenge learning process, you'll learn 21st century skills such as critical thinking, team-building, decision making, communications and more!
- Work to solve an agricultural issue in your community or statewide
- Work with friends and meet new people
- Learn how to use science and engineering practices
- Develop skills you'll use in school and in your future career
- Compete to win a scholarship
You can form a team or join one in your county. Teams include 3-5 youth in grades 6-12. Each September, teams present their solutions at a preliminary event to prepare for the state competition at K-State in November. Each member of the top three teams will receive a scholarship to use at the university, college or trade school of their choice. One team can win the Community Engagement Award for sharing the story of their project through community presentations, social and print media.
- Choose a topic to explore
- Use the eight Science and Engineering Practices to guide your project
- Work with volunteer coaches and mentors to create and complete the project
- Learn from agricultural experts in your community
- Learn about agricultural careers locally and statewide
- January -March 2020 - Teams form, identify their project topic, begin to research and develop solutions
- ** Extended to April 30, 2020 - Final team registration deadline
- September 18, 2020 - Preliminary Presentations at Ag Innovation Day, Kansas State Fair
- November 14, 2020 - Science of Agriculture Challenge competition at Kansas State University