Family and Consumer Sciences Judging
Intermediate & Senior Family and
Consumer Sciences Judging
4-H Encampment Building
Saturday, September 15, 2018 9AM – 2PM
Committee: Lindi & Katrina Fahrenthold, Central Kansas District; Debbie Hanna, Dickinson County; Sukesh Kamesh, Kingman County; Becky Reid, Cowley County; Clarissa Sents, Coffey County; Ashley Svaty, Post Rock District; and Andrea L. Feldkamp, 4-H/FCS Program Liaison
1. Youth ages 9-13, as of January 1 of the current year, are eligible to participate in the Intermediate division. Youth ages 14-19 as of January 1 of the current year, are eligible to participate in the Senior Division.
2. Participants can only register as a team. Individuals are not permitted to enter this contest. Each team must have at least 2 members and no more than 4 members.
3. All eligible teams and participating team members must be pre-entered by August 15.
4. An entry fee of $15 per team (2-4 people) will be due with the August 15 pre-entry date.
5. Local Units MUST select their team(s) contest participation time when pre-entry information is submitted.
6. All participating team members must check in and be prepared to start the contest at the same time. Please have one adult check in with the team. Adults and team members will be separated after the orientation session. 4-H members will be escorted to and from the various contest components. Adults are encouraged to volunteer to assist with various contest aspects.
7. This year’s contest theme will be Health. There will be three components to complete as part of the contest:
- A team puzzle exercise related to public health.
- A hands on immersion activity related to health.
- A presentation inviting the team’s perspective in response to their identified health challenge.
8. Teams will deliver their presentation before a judge. Spectators will not be allowed in the presentation room. Teams will be responsible for their own audio/visual equipment, if needed.
9. All cell phones and other communication devices must be turned off while participating in the contest.
10. Rosettes will be presented to the top two teams in each age division. The first place team in each age division will be eligible to take an educational FCS related trip, for reimbursement, up to $200. A $250 grant will be provided to the top Intermediate and top Senior team to be utilized towards implementation of the team’s plan to address their identified health issue.
11. Additional prizes may be awarded.
12. Efforts will be made to accommodate participants in multiple State Fair 4-H events.
13. Scores and contest winners will be shared at 3:30 p.m. in the Encampment Building Auditorium. Contest packets will be returned to present teams after the results are announced.
5960 Intermediate FCS Judging Team
5965 Senior FCS Judging Team