This project is for youth who are interested in learning more about dogs, how to care for a dog and how to train a dog in basic or advanced commands. Any kind of dog may be used in this unique project that is not designed to conform to the American Kennel Club or other professional standards. Members without dogs may wish to participate in quiz bowls, conference and other activities that do not require dog ownership.
Explore your Spark!
Things to Learn/Do in the Project
- Choose the right dog for your family
- Explore dog behavior and body language
- Learn grooming basics
- Begin obedience training
- Select nutritious dog foods
- Identify dog breeds and their purposes
- Show your dog in showmanship
Ages 14 and Older
- Continue advanced obedience training
- Learn local dog laws and ordinances
- Explore the value of assistance dogs and careers with working dogs
New Resources to Help in 2022-23
Reasonably priced materials are available for every project in Kansas 4-H. You can order the materials for your project online or contact your local Extension Office.
This rule book is designed to help establish uniform regulations and procedures for the 4-H dog shows and events throughout the state. Please use this book as a guide when setting up your shows and establishing show rules. All judges should be made familiar with 4-H dog show rules and objectives, which are often different from other organizations’ rules.
Dog Care & Training (DG100)
Project Leader Resources and Quiz Bowl Contest Resources
- Dog Helper's Guide
- Dog Resource Handbook from Ohio State University (2018) -to order, visit - https://extensionpubs.osu.edu/dog-resource-handbook/
- Kansas 4-H Dog Care & Training Project Leader Notebook. This notebook has been pulled in 2019, since it has some information that is not correct. County/District offices still have a file copy to view.
General Dog Care & Training Resources and Quiz Bowl Contest Resources
- Kansas 4-H Dog Show Immunization Record Mg34, rev., October 2017. (May be printed on any weight of paper and on any color of paper).
- The Style of Rally Obedience (Not a Quiz Bowl Contest Resource)
- Rally Obedience Laminated Card Set (Print Only) (Not a Quiz Bowl Contest Resource)
- All About Dogs (OH 4-H)
Related Resources - Veterinary Science
- Understanding & Applying Veterinary Science
- From Airdales to Zebras (ages 7-10)
- All Systems Go (ages 11-13)
- On the Cutting Edge (ages 14+)
- Veterinary Science Helper's Guide
- Nebraska 4-H Veterinary Science
Awards and Recognition
Award: Medal presented at your 4-H Achievement Banquet
Award: National 4-H Congress Scholarship
Dog Project Resources from Other Places
- 4-H Dog Showmanship YouTube - NE 4-H
- Backyard Agility Courses - Steven Schwarz
- List of Online Agility Resources