January 16, 2018
Grants Available for Foster Children
Kansas 4-H Youth Development, the Kansas 4-H Foundation and Saint Francis Community Services are working together to provide funding opportunities for children and families involved with foster care. The purpose of the Kansas 4-H Resource Family Project and Camp Grant Programs is to provide financial assistance for foster youth and their resource families who want to participate in learning opportunities available through 4-H.
Kansas 4-H is open to all youth ages 7 through 18 wanting to expand their learning opportunities. 4-H focuses on developing confident, capable, caring, responsible citizens. 4-H offers a wide range of project areas that youth may learn from, ranging from agriculture to food and nutrition to aerospace and photography. Although being involved in the local club can provide an opportunity for youth to learn from each other and contribute to others through community service projects, volunteers and family support are also important elements of 4-H as volunteers and parents serve as club and project leaders that guide and mentor youth. Through the Kansas 4-H Foundation, $5,000 in grant funds are available to support foster care families and the children in their care who are current or potential 4-H members.
Grants due May 1!
Family Project Grants
• Children must enroll as 4-H members through their local extension office.
• Eligible 4-H member can only apply for one 4-H project and one 4-H camp grant per year.
• Grant funds are for the purpose of starting or enhancing a 4-H project during the 4-H year such as purchasing a camera, craft supplies, clothing, feed, equipment, etc.
• Eligible 4-H member may request funds for supplies and equipment needed for participating in a pet or livestock project; however, funds are not available for the purchase of pets or livestock.
• Grant funding cannot include meal expenses.
• Items and supplies purchased from grant funding for 4-H project become the property of the eligible 4-H member.
• Liability, maintenance and warranty of the items and supplies purchased become the responsibility of the eligible 4-H member.
• Grant application and instructions available on the Kansas 4-H website on the 4-H Camping page.